Monday, March 15, 2010

Idle hands

On the day of an earthquake, a flood, a tornado, a hurricane, no one stands at a gate and checks faith statements for suitability; there is much help that needs to be given, and much to do that is right.

Yet our concept of heaven, what we believe to be the origin of all that is helpful and right, is one of a gate and an oral exam; for some literal, for others figurative, but very real. There was a gate that promised "Arbeit Macht Frei," but lied. There were the literacy tests that disenfranchised black Americans. There were swimming tests through which only failure could prove one was not a witch. I don't subscribe to gates and tests.

When my hands and my heart are busy doing the work that is helpful and right, I cannot find the time to damn those who work with me.

Would that it were always so.

Be well.

2 comments:

  1. This is nice, Tobe-lerone. On another note, come by the shop sometime and have lunch. I promise not to put gravel in your sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting, Toby. I've been thinking about similar things lately. In times of crisis or in the wake of tragedy, people are generous, selfless and full of grace. In idle times, selfishness, bitching and petty criticism abound. Some days I find myself hoping for a tragedy to keep us all at our best. Sad, huh?

    ReplyDelete