Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Grudges

I know that I learned growing up that grudges are important, and are to be held. I think grudges and relationship "scorekeeping" may have actually been the primary ingredients of the adult relationships I witnessed as a child. Wrongs were never forgiven, never forgotten, but held as a living part of every relationship, always on the table.

I hold some grudges, not many I hope. The baggage from that childhood lesson for me tends to manifest as a fear, an expectation, that others will hold grudges against me. That leads me to be hyper-paranoid about every glitch, every misstep, every impropriety. As a middle-schooler, I was so hyper-paranoid of being judged and pigeon-holed that I would silently mouth back to myself every sentence that I spoke, just to be sure it was correct. My friends noticed this very obvious practice and would then (and sometimes still) tease me about it. It probably looked very funny, and I look back and can laugh about how it must have appeared. But I still remember the terror of speaking. The terror that I would offend someone with words or syntax and it would be forever held against me. These days I just quickly repeat my sentences in my head. :)

I'll just breathe now.

Be well.

4 comments:

  1. the blessed thing about you is that most of what you say IS worth repeating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't that have been the best comeback ever?!

    I only repeat my words because they're so repeatable.

    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. breathing is good.
    ...
    for someone who writes of fears and failings regularly, I think they might be less obvious / influential in your relationships than they might be in your head. (that may be true for many / most of us?) you're an easy and valued friend.

    be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Russ. I think it's ALL in the head.

    ReplyDelete