Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thanks for the sentiment, honey

How do you know, despite your wife's insistence to the contrary, that people think of you in their minds as a person who "has a gut?" A significant portion of people who learn that I'm training for a 25K trail run instinctively look to my midsection when I tell them. And they're not checking to see if my badassness is visible through my trousers either.

Those looks to my gut are a great motivator early in the morning when I don't want to get up, or don't want to keep going.

But it still stings a little. I used to be really thin. Too thin, probably, but still.

Be well. Well is good.






2 comments:

  1. People may feel inclined to compliment you on weight loss when they find out you're training for a 25K, regardless of whether they had ever even considered your midsection before, and regardless of whether it's changed -- but they'll look to see if they can notice a difference to say something about. Losing weight in our culture is nearly always something to compliment, and it's easy to notice, unlike other benefits one might gain from training for a race. You could think about those looks not as judgment about your appearance but as people searching for a way to express their support for your endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great observation. The one thing I didn't factor in, is my own self-identification as a person with a gut, and how that colors my perception of others' reactions.

    ReplyDelete