Friday, April 17, 2009

What can I say, when I can't say much?

April has been a paltry month for posts. I think back to my first post in January when I considered the possibility of a post a day on my shiny new blog. I've not been nearly that prolific, but I've been very happy with the experience of blogging so far. That said, April will likely fall short of a robust February where I took the opportunity to post 8 times.

Why the decline? Certainly some of the newness has worn off, and some intermittent issues with the home computer haven't helped either. The biggest hurdle by far though has been that most of what I've been dealing with is work, and that's something I try not to discuss in this blog.

There are a number of reasons that I don't discuss work here, although for anyone stumbling across this blog I can say that "work" is Bethel College (KS). First, it's well-documented that public ranting about work can very easily come back to bite--hard. Second, I realize that feelings about work are cyclical; sometimes it's great, other times we'd rather be anywhere else. Third, I care very deeply for Bethel. My experience here has been life-changing, affirming, and fulfilling.

So, since the last month has dealt with some unpleasantries, and those unpleasantries have been pretty consuming, I've not had the opportunity or desire to discuss much else; thus, the lack of posts.

Suffice it to say that the economic downturn has come home to small town Kansas with a vengeance. Layoffs all over the area have dominated the headlines, and Bethel is not immune. So it's been with heavy hearts that the larger community mourn the loss of colleagues and mentors, attempting as a body of alumni to assess the changes necessary for long-term strength. It has been a long month, but I still hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment