Friday, April 17, 2009

He ain't right

Headed west on US50 there's a sign: Are you ready to meet the Lord?

While germane to traveling that particular highway, I'm wondering if that's the best thing for a potentially nervous driver to read while perilously navigating a roadway that seems to have more than its fair share of fatalities?

*

To that same end, about 10 miles before I reached said sign, the driver behind me decided it was time to pass when it was, in fact, not. Once the touch-and-go situation was over, I considered what options--besides continuing safely westward--I could have potentially experienced. I settled on the following:

While passing me on the left the driver realized that they were not going to make it around me before oncoming traffic hit him/her head on. Quickly realizing that the greatest chance of survival lay in running me off the road, he/she sideswiped me to save him/herself. I, of course, careened into the ditch and began a series of headlong flips, end-over-end, through the fields lining the highway until at last I came to rest in an irrigation ditch. Broken and bloody, I was in a lot of pain, but would survive. Unfortunately, however, a head trauma would surely leave me with brain damage.

Not to worry. I, through sheer force of will, would rewire my own brain around the damage, fully restoring my normal (dys)functionality.

Later in life, while at an interview, I would be asked, "What qualifies you for this position?" I would of course reply, "I rewired my OWN brain! What have you done?"

No comments:

Post a Comment