Saturday, January 21, 2017

Dreams and realities

I've dreamed my whole life of running for elected office.

In late-November 2016, when discussing the possibility of making this dream a reality, I was advised to "clean up" my social media presence. The advice (well-intentioned and sound) was not directed toward covering up my benders or morally questionable photo ops, but toward softening my liberalness for the south-central Kansas audience whose votes I would need.

I've been sitting with this advice ever since. I've even sat down a couple of times to assess what a "clean up" might look like and entail.

Ultimately, I've come to the conclusion that I'm very proud of my progressive, liberal values. I've arrived at them over a very long--still winding--road, and for very specific reasons. So, whatever it means for my dream of holding elected office (and with respect to those who do choose to moderate their positions), I'm not going to soften my stance on the things in which I believe, and I'm not going to keep quiet when I could be speaking up. If it means that I find other ways to affect change, then so be it. There are many roles to play in society, and the older I get the less desperate I am for the roles that traditionally bring the spotlight with them.

I'm lucky to be surrounded by people who make this world a better place every day through small and unceremonious actions. Whatever my role(s) may be, I'm proud to believe that a more generous, more accepting world is a goal worth working toward. I believe that I'm on the gentler side of the issues.

#justiceforall
#blacklivesmatter
#thisiswhyimarch
#upwithpeople

No comments:

Post a Comment