Monday, August 26, 2013

The hotter it is, you know the harder it gets (Lyle Lovett, "It Ought To Be Easier")

Today was good.

I gave my first test. Classroom management was decent. Being observant and clear-minded makes a big difference.

So does preparation. Preparation makes or breaks my day. Am I ready to engage my kids in their learning? Am I ready for what I don't know is going to happen?

Someone told me, "The thing you think will take ten minutes takes an hour. That's no big deal. It's when the hour thing takes ten minutes. That's when you're screwed. Are you ready for it?"

There's so much to say. There's so much I want to tell you all. So much I want to remember.

Right now I'm like the Pink Floyd lyric:

so you run, and you run
to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
racing around, to come up behind you again
The sun is the same, in a relative way
but you're older
shorter of breath
and one day closer to death


I love it.
It humbles me.
It humiliates me.
It grows me.
It ages me.
It breaks me.
It wrecks me.
It makes me.


The very best thing about your life is a short stage in someone else's story. And that's enough. (quoted from here.)


*Oh yeah, the average grade on my test was 46%. That's on me. Mostly.

No comments:

Post a Comment