Friday, December 3, 2010

I read the news today, oh boy...

That is the opening line of The Beatles' "A Day In the Life," John Lennon's evocation of despair and hopelessness in a world of violence. It's beautifully contrasted by the bridge of Paul McCartney's carefree daydreamer character, cruising through his day with seemingly no weight on his mind. Check this song out, and really listen to the emotions and how the music and the lyrics perfectly compliment each other.

But why do I bring this up?

Well, I've sung this lyric tens of thousands of times, but it's not always as meaningful as it was this morning when it popped in to my head. I was, as you might have guessed, reading the news. And what did I see?
  • War
  • Corruption and censure
  • Rich getting richer
  • Murder
  • Theft
  • Hate
  • Oppression
  • Religion
  • Suicide
  • Disease
And in my mind, John's tired voice singing: I read the news today, oh boy...

No comments:

Post a Comment