Monday, April 19, 2010

My Sword of Damocles

Without looking it up, here's how I remember the Greek story of the Sword of Damocles.

Damocles said to his king one day, "What makes you more fit to rule than I?" The king offered Damocles the seat of power for a time, and Damocles accepted. Sitting on the fine throne, surrounded by the finest foods, wines, women, music et al, he basked in the glory. But not long had he basked, when he looked above him and saw a razor sharp sword suspended by a single horse's hair. He leapt from the throne and accused the king of putting him in mortal danger. Such is the seat of power: a hair's breadth from disaster.

My Sword of Damocles is what the world sees when they see me. (This is NOT a request for input, please! :)) If I knew where my world saw a need for personal improvement, I could do it. But to see it, would also surely include heartbreaking revelations, and less-than-stellar traits that may not be changeable, and therefore difficult to accept. And so, I strive only to be true in my address to the world, hoping that those I love will love me back more often than not.

Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment