Thursday, September 10, 2009

That one stings a little

For two weeks, I've been working very hard to position myself to get the job of Director of Admissions for Bethel College, where I already work as a fundraiser. I didn't get it, but I received high compliments from all of the highest of high Bethel royalty, for which I'm thankful and humbled.

I will support the decision and move on, because any other choice would be a failure. I think the thing that stings the most is knowing that I could do this job so well, but knowing that no one wants to take a risk on someone whose experience is not documentable. Most people that I know will resign themselves to this fact and tell me, "Hey, that just makes sense." I, on the other hand, have seen people do what their paper, or their genes, said they couldn't; and so, I do wish deep in my darkest soul that it could have been me.

But I move on; it's what I've always done.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear this, Toby. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your contributions to Bethel are so important...no matter in what form. Sorry for your disappointment. I hate it when I don't get a job, which has happened several times....no matter how you put it, it blows your self-esteem a bit....

    ReplyDelete