Monday, July 6, 2009

I'll cop out to the change but a stranger is putting the tease on...


I feel like a lot happened over the holiday weekend. I know a lot happened in my head.

I went in to the weekend with all of the stress and tension involved with the end of the fiscal year at work. Uncertain as a team whether we would achieve our goals when it was all said and done, and certain as an individual that I'd not done my best to make sure we did hit the mark. I some times do that; occasionally I get in a funk and don't live up to my potential. This year, however, is the first time I've ever looked at the situation while I was in it and summed it up in terms of potential. Although it doesn't expunge the sin of failing to pull my weight, I'm somehow pleased with the observation that I have the ability to do better--the option to live up to my potential or not. I hope I can consider myself under this light in all things large and small. The fact is, the potential of a given individual human is an impressive thing. Being a human, I guess I'm comfortable with the concept that this also includes me.

This observation leads me to a commitment to consciously consider "my best" in every moment. I've done a lot of being in my life, but I'm not sure I've done much being my best. Here's to being my best in husbandry, fatherhood, humanity and humility.

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment